POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : How to speed up renderings with many light sources? : How to speed up renderings with many light sources? Server Time
17 Aug 2024 10:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  How to speed up renderings with many light sources?
From: Yadgar
Date: 13 Oct 2001 19:25:57
Message: <3BC8BF65.7C9ED022@ndh.net>
Hi Tracers!

After a series of system crashes, I'm back at my megalomaniac
prehistoric colonist space ship project, still at the very first of 720
habitation modules... now I added parlor lights to each of the module's
16 floors, resulting in 4 x 16 = 64 area light sources plus the point
light of a nearby sun... and rendering speed got bogged down terribly!
On my AMD K6-II 400, at 400 x 300 resolution each line takes about 1 h
30 min! What do you suggest to accelerate rendering - should I refrain
from using area lights? Or is there any chance to speed it up and still
keep the area lights?

See you in Khyberspace -
http://www.geocities.com/electricafghan/index-e.html
Afghanistan Chronicle: http://www.ndh.net/home/bleimann/